Monday, January 25, 2010

January 24, 2009
A life-changing encounter with God’s Word from the book of Revelation

Blessed are those who read and hear the words of this prophesy and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near. Revelation 1:3

Lesson 1

The first lesson in Revelation was extremely informative and I was so glad that we were instructed to read the entire book first. I never realized that it was the only book in the Bible that says we get a special blessing just for reading it (Rev. 1:3) and then another for acting on it (Rev. 22:7). Knowing this makes me want to read it over and over again and to keep it engraved in my heart and mind forever.

The book of Revelation (Apocalypse: unveiling or disclosure) is a message using symbolism to show that God will intervene to bring evil to an end and to prepare us for what is to come. Praise God! That in itself causes my heart to rejoice. It is a message about what will soon take place in the future (the rapture, tribulation and second coming), a sovereign plan from God for today. It is a message about His promises and the hope we have in Him. It is a reminder of His love for us and how one day we will live forever with Him. Just imagine, there will be a new heaven and a new earth where there will be no more sorrow, sickness or pain. God Himself will wipe away every tear from our eyes! It is a call to the church to wake up, repent and return to their first love (Rev. 2:4-5). It is a message for every single person on this earth, The Lord says, “Behold I stand at the door and knock, if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with Me” (Rev. 3:20). It is the final call to everyone to remind them once again that the time is near and that we are living in end times.

1. I sensed urgency in John’s written letter of Revelation to warn and prepare the church. His message was one of hope and promise in the midst terrible circumstances. John’s special commission was to unveil the greatness of our Lord and Savior.

2. Words and phrases that recurred often: God is the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. Blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne. He knows our works. He who has an ear to hear let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The number 7. Blessed are those who keep the words of this prophesy. Behold, I come quickly.

3. Challenging and convicting questions I have for myself: How much of my time do I really give the Lord? Do I share His message with this lost and dying world with urgency? What will I do to apply this truth to my life to be a good witness for my Lord and Savior? Do I meditate on His word and is it hid in my heart so that I don’t sin against Him? Do I realize how blessed I am to be a child of a King and to have Him in my heart? Do I extend the same mercy and grace that the Lord has given to me?

4. After my first reading of Revelation, I feel a stronger desire to read my Bible more, to memorize scripture and to apply it in my life, to walk righteously before the Lord, to share the message of His truth and salvation with others and to be a better example to everyone around me. There are so many people I know and love who need the Lord in their lives.

“Because you have kept my command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to fest those who dwell on the earth. Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, And I will write on him My new name”. Revelation 3:10-12
“Behold I am coming quickly! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.” Rev. 22:7

And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” and let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely. Rev. 22:17

No comments:

Post a Comment