Saturday, March 13, 2010

Revelation – Lesson 4

March 11, 2010

I thought I’d do this lesson differently and answer all the questions in a report/essay style. I got so much out of this lesson and writing it out this way gave me a better understanding. In chapters 4 and 5 the main theme is worship. These chapters really emphasize and make it clear that believers are called to a life of worship. I am to rejoice in Him always, through every circumstance in my life and through every trial that I am confronted with. True worship is acknowledging God’s true worth. It is praising Him for all that He is!

In Chapter 4 John is called up into heaven to see the things that are going to take place in the future. He is given his first glimpse of heaven! John sees what he describes as the One, our God, seated on the throne and all that surrounds the One, in all His majesty, splendor and glory like precious stones! Wow, can you just imagine this! Being a woman who likes and appreciates fine jewels helped me to visualize just how glorious heaven must be! I loved how Revelation 4 pointed out the rainbow around the throne. I can’t imagine anything more beautiful than a rainbow in the sky, so it took me back to Noah and the rainbow covenant and how God still keeps still keeps His promises each day in my life! John sees twenty four thrones and 24 elders dressed in white wearing gold crowns on their heads all in a complete circle facing God. He also sees four living creatures described as a lion, a calf, one with a face of a man and an eagle. They all have wings and eyes all over them. They worship God day and night and they never ever get tired. They praise the one who is worthy to receive glory, honor and power forever! This really spoke to me and reminded me of those very special and intimate moments I’ve had with the Lord. You know, those moments where nothing else matters and you cry out to Him and you worship Him from the depths of your heart for His amazing grace in your life and you feel the warmth of His embrace and He takes every fear and worry away and then His love and peace cover you completely. There is nothing in this world that compares to it or satisfies and you want to be in that moment forever! I call them “my special God moments”. One day it will no longer be just a moment that is here and there but an eternal life worshipping God in His magnificent presence for who He is and all the great things He’s done!

In Chapter 5 the focus is on a roll of paper sealed with seven seals (scroll) and the Lamb of God, the Lord Jesus Christ, the living Son of God! This chapter begins with John hearing an angel ask if there is anyone worthy to open the scroll or even look at it. John begins to weep with so much sadness when he realizes that there is no one on earth or heaven who is worthy. Then he’s told by one of the 24 elders to stop weeping and to look, because the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, has conquered and proved Himself worthy! John sees the Lamb of God who was slain but now alive with seven horns and seven eyes standing before the 24 elders in front of the throne and the 4 living creatures. The horn is a symbol of absolute power and the seven eyes are the seven spirits of God sent to the earth. This means that God is absolutely sovereign and able to see each of us at the same time! John then sees Jesus with an outstretched arm take the book (scroll) from the right hand of God who is sitting on the throne. (God’s right hand symbolizes power! Our God is mighty and powerful!) Once Jesus the precious Lamb of God takes the book, the 4 living creatures and the 24 elders holding harps and bowls of incense fall down before Him and they begin to worship Him, singing a new song, giving Him all honor and praise because He alone was worthy to take the book (scroll). Jesus our Lord and Savior, was slain and rose from the dead to redeem us! God purchased us, because he loved us so much, He gave His only son to save us and give us everlasting life! Jesus paid the price for every single person on this earth! It is so incredible to think that we are a kingdom and priests of God! It is even more than amazing to think that God collects our prayers in a golden bowl and they are held in heaven! He hears us when we cry and sees every tear that falls from our eyes! I don’t know about everyone else but when I read this it made me want to cry out like David did in Psalm 8:4; “Who is man that you are mindful of him and who is the son of man that you visit him”. Praise God! Reading this chapter also made me remember and think about when John the Baptist saw Jesus and cried out, “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29) His heart was filled with humility, joy and excitement when He saw Jesus. It’s so awesome how the Lord opens our eyes to so many things when we stop and see Him for who He really is and we worship Him in spirit and truth and we study His Word! John the Baptist knew that the Messiah was the Lamb of God who had come to deliver and redeem us and David understood God’s absolute power and sovereignty. I want the Lord to continue to change my heart and to make me more like Him! I want to love and serve Jesus more intimately and passionately. I don’t want to take worship lightly and be blinded any longer by the things of the earth that are so temporal.

“To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever”. (Revelation 5:13)

3 comments:

  1. Joanie, I have spent time here tonight reading all of your lessons. What a blessing to come here & read your thoughts! You mention in one of the lessons that you want to be humble - I think you are already. Your sweet spirit & testimony amazes me! I have a feeling that you have lots of thoese "special God moments" that you mention, & that touched me. I was floored by your honesty & transparency when you answered the question "Where you live", & "Your deeds". You are one very special lady! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanie,
    I second everything Judy said! You are such a special person and I am so glad that God brought you into my life and our little group. You have been such a ray of sunshine and I pray that I can bless you half as much as you have blessed me. You really are a breath of fresh air! Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanie, I am so glad you are doing this study with us. I think it would be great to share what you wrote for WM. Just put it here. Love you!

    ReplyDelete